Friday, January 28, 2011

Fun Fridays :)

The world of chimp activism can be depressing sometimes, so I have decided to start a segment I would like to call Fun Fridays. I am winging it today. You can now expect an update every Friday from me. (mwahaha, I WILL keep you all entertained and spreading the blog around). This first part is good news in the world of chimps for the week. I shall call it... hmm...

LIGHTEN UP :)

Save the Chimps's matching grant from the Arcus Foundation has raised $679,718.44. YAY!!!

Now, I will start a section with a random video about chimps or apes.

REMEMBER WHAT YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR :)

The video is a tad random but the baby chimp is so adorable i couldn't say no!


And now for your guys's...

APE ASSIGNMENT

The Ape Assignment will be a small, simple way that you or others can make the world a better place for apes. This week's assignment will be helping the orangutans. (if you don't already) Next time you are out shopping, check to see if the product is made with palm oil. If it is, it was most likely harvested from an orangutan's home. This is bad and the main reason they are in danger from human activity. You will probably be surprised about how many things contain palm oil. If you already boycott palm oil, then tell your friends. If you are like me and don't (yet) then we can both try it for a week. I will check back in next Friday and see how it went. Feel free to leave your experiences below in the comments :)


Hmmm.... at the moment that is all I can think of. I might add more sections as Fun Friday continues.

Finally I will wrap it all up with a section called...

THE BIG QUESTION

This week's big question is:

Why do you think companies (**cough cough, Career Builder**) continue to use chimps and other apes in ads, even though they know that it is wrong and activists petition them to stop? Do you think Career Builder will show their chimp ad in the Super Bowl, even though people complain? What have you done to stop them? Do you have any other ideas to help?

Discuss the BQ in the comments below. My goal of Fun Friday is not only to entertain you, but also to get people more involved with the comments :)

Wishing you all a chimpy week.

Your Young Activist,

Olivia :)

6 comments:

  1. I like fun Fridays!! This was a great blog. I started looking at labels a while back, so I could avoid products that contained palm oil. I was very surprised to learn that so many of the things I bought (which I no longer buy...bye, bye Oreos) contained palm oil. You guys are doing such a great job helping the chimps and helping to educate people about the plight of all the great apes.

    Keep up the good work,
    Monica B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica I'm glad you enjoyed it :). Thats great. I am sad to see my beloved oreos go... Thanks for your compliments. We love helping :) Wish me luck on my Oreo habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really fantastic blog:).
    The problem I have with avoiding palm oil is that it's often labeled as 'vegetable oil' so I don't know if it is or isn't. I think it would be a great idea if there was an 'orangutan friendly' label that companies could use on their products if they don't contain palm oil.

    I've written to CareerBuilders through PETA and encouraged others to do the same. I'm very upset about their continued use of chimpanzees, especially as it's due to public demand- I can't believe so many people see nothing wrong with a dressed up performing wild animal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy, glad you enjoyed it. I think that'd be great too because then it would discourage use of crude palm oil... Thanks for writing to Career Builder. I hope they stop after everyone's emailed them. I don't know why people are so oblivious to the torture that they enjoy. It makes you ashamed of our population sometimes. :(

    Keep it up,

    Your fellow activist,

    ~Olivia~

    ReplyDelete